top of page

Home in Hong Kong

1-stop Search for Your Ideal Property


Tips for a New Arrival

new arrival hk.jpeg

4 Things to Do Before Starting Your House Hunt in Hong Kong as a New Arrival

1. Keep your employment contract easily accessible. If you only have a digital copy, consider printing it out. You need to present it to the landlord as proof of your work and income.

2. Apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID). You can use either your passport or HKID to sign a tenancy agreement, but it is easier to take up the utilities using your HKID. Even the temporary HKID (paper form) is valid. For more information, please visit

3. Obtain a local mobile phone number from a telecommunications service provider. It is also necessary for opening your utility accounts.

4. Open a local bank account. If you do not have a residential address in Hong Kong, you may need to provide a reference letter from your employer when opening a bank account. Upon signing a provisional tenancy agreement, you will be required to pay an initial deposit to the landlord. This deposit is equivalent to one month's rent. Payment can be made in cash or by cheque. Two more months (the balance of the two-month deposit and the first month's rent in advance) is required upon signing the formal contract and receiving the keys.

Note: It usually takes a couple of days for the bank to process the application. For citizens of certain countries, such as the USA, the process may take several weeks.

For more information and tips on house hunting, please read this eBook:

SMART Home Hunting: The Key to Renting Your Perfect Place in Hong Kong

Free Home Search Advice

Get professional home search advice for FREE! Send us a message.

bottom of page